COUNCIL OF ACADEMIC PROGRAMS IN COMMUNICATION SCIENCES AND DISORDERS

EXECUTIVE BOARD MEETING

New Orleans, Louisiana                                                                                                    November 14, 2001

Convention Center Room 214

11:00 A.M. 3:00 P.M.

 

Members Present:  Hanley, Talbott, Carney, McNeil, Gregg, Hargrove, Mahshie,  Oller, Saxman.  Also attending:  Management Firm Representative Laven.

 

 

 

I.                   Approval of  Minutes – April 6, 2001 Business Meeting, Sarasota, Florida – Approved

 

II.                Approval of Minutes – July 27-28. 2001 Executive Board Meeting, Santa Fe, New Mexico – Approved.

 

III.             Approval of Agenda – November 14, 2001 Executive Board Meeting – Approved.

 

IV.              Reports

A.     President (Hanley)

1.                  Membership Information – Currently, there are 253 graduate member programs, 18 undergraduate member programs and 33 undergraduate non-member programs.  One new program has been added:  College of Misericordia, Pennsylvania.

 

2.                  Related Professional Organizations:  Future Meetings and Topics of Discussion

a.                        ASHA – ASHA’s EB meeting will be held on January 12-13, 2002.  CAPCSD’s EB meeting with them will be on January 14, 2002.  It was suggested that at least three CAPCSD EB members should attend.  McNeil commented that we be conservative in the number of representatives; Saxman commented that Mahshie should attend since he’s “in town;”  Talbott commented that for perspective the three “presidents” and Mahsie (audiology) should attend.  It was agreed that four people (Hanley, Talbott, Carney, Mahsie) should attend ASHA-CAP EB-EB meeting with a $750 per person budget estimate.

b.                        AAA – Saxman suggested that if discussion topics at this meeting included standards and credentialing, he would like to be included.  It was recommended that Hanley, Talbott and Saxman would attend AAA-CAP EB-EB meeting.

c.                         NAPP  -- No steps have been taken to schedule a meeting with this group.  A meeting with NAPP should be arranged to take place at the CAPCSD 2002 Annual Conference.

d.                        SID 10 – Ro Scudder will speak at the 11/14/01 Corporate meeting.  Hanley proposed meeting with SID 10 via a conference call; Carney suggested that the meeting take place at the CAPCSD 2002 Annual Conference.

 

3.                  EAS Proposal Regarding Budget Management – 11/1/01 document (Attachment #1) disseminated by Fran Laven proposed a contract with CAPCSD for $40 per hour at a rate of 5 – 15 hours per month to assume full accounting responsibilities for the Council. Talbott questioned whether or not an itemized contract is currently in existence; one was produced for his perusal.  Talbott also wanted clarification regarding accounting activities, time currently spent generating the report to CAP’s treasurer.  It was noted (Fran Laven) that the annual conference report is totally separate from other accounting activities.  Carney called for an Executive Session – CAP EB without EAS Management representative Laven.  Several items were discussed and included issues such as,  oversight by treasurer, Treasurer’s visit to Minneapolis office,  clarification of ambiguities, specifying logistics, covering extra expenditures, and establishing deadlines.  The Executive Session was then closed with the following motion made by Talbott and seconded by Carney:  The Treasurer of the Board will meet on site at the EAS offices to discuss implementation of a transition of the accounting/bookkeeping services of the Council to the management firm.  The Board Treasurer will specify the accounting/bookkeeping services to be provided, the reports to be generated, the logistics of the transition, and the oversight role of the Treasurer.  The Treasurer will report progress in this regard to the Council at the January Board Meeting.  It is understood that the Council will remunerate EAS at a rate of $40 per hour for such services in the transition period.  The next renewal contract for management services will include specific language pertaining to their services and should be considered at the April, 2002 Board Meeting. Approved.

 

4.                  Web page Management (Steps to Centralize) – Since Web master Maurice Mendel might not be able to maintain the CAPCSD web page forever, some decisions should be made for centralized management of the web site.  The discussion of this centered around whether we should break something that’s fixed (Hanley), whether or not Maurice could handle the page if the scope and depth were increased, and whether this issue should be discussed with the membership (Saxman), whether we should consider sponsorship for the web page (Talbott), whether we should reconsider the priority for the web page and budget for updating (McNeil), and we should remember the importance of the page since many member benefits have been shifted to the web site (Carney).  It was recommended that Hargrove discuss web page management with Maurice and report at the January meeting, then we can decide how to proceed and what can be acted upon and covered in the spring meeting (Hanley).

 

5.                  ASHA/American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (AAO-HNS) partnership – The central issue for discussion of this matter was what should the official position of CAPCSD be.  It was the general consensus that the CAP should be responsible for promoting better communication between groups that represent audiologists (ASHA and AAA).  This information will be communicated at EB-EB meetings.

 

 

B.     President-Elect (Talbott)

1.                  Site Selection:  Pilot arrangement with Terry Kennan conference firm –An update of information regarding future conference sites/arrangements was presented.  Areas in the south (Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, etc) are being investigated. A list has been generated and is in the process of being reviewed according to things like room costs.  It was reported (Saxman) that an e-mail was circulating in New York requesting that New York be considered as a meeting site to show economic support.  Although there is no argument about the symbolic nature of the gesture, guidelines for CAP meetings include not considering sites above the Mason-Dixon line (Talbott).

 

2.                  Time and Place Issues (2004 Conference) – This is being developed through the pilot arrangement (Talbott).

 

 

3.                  Time and Place (2005 Conference) – No discussion at this time.

 

4.                  Leadership in Higher EducationPolitical Advocacy Update – E-mail was sent to all programs and one person in each state was identified.  So far, there are 47 states with contacts.  A database has been set-up with EAS Management so that there will be a communication link.  The next step is to solicit information from contact in each state to get the presidents of state organizations to identify the “movers and shakers” in their states.  By the time the Council meets in April, the second phase will be done.

 

5.                  Credentialing/Clinical Certification Issues – This could be open for discussion at the April conference during time set aside for resolutions – 1) Mandating bundling of certification and accreditation, 2) Requiring ASHA certification for supervisors of practicum hours.  These components may be more trouble than they are worth since they often stifle innovative and creative ways of getting practicum experiences, for example, using an MD expert in an area like balance assessment, or an audiologist who is licensed but has given up ASHA Cs (Talbott).  Maybe these could be included as a major issue for discussion at the 2003 conference (Carney), or emerging issues at the 2002 conference (Hargrove, Mahshie).  Talbott will send a title for an emerging issue --credentialing/clinical certification -- to be included at the 2002 conference.

 

6.                  Update on discussions with AAA – This had already been presented by President Hanley.  Talbott suggested that in addition to communication with other professional organizations, we begin to consider linkages with heads of departments in Health Sciences Centers who may be actively involved with training programs.  These Centers may be appropriate for some category of membership within the Council.  This should be included on the agenda for the January meeting.

 

7.                  NAFDA -- Talbott raised the question about the student organization NAFDA – National Association of Future Doctors of Audiology – and its exclusion of Ph.D. audiology students.  Members are accepted to this organization if the degree designation of their program is AUD. Mahshie asked us to consider the possibility that this issue will self-resolve overtime; a letter from this group might only inflame the issue.

 

8.                  Management Calendar and By-Laws Update – Talbott distributed a monthly reminder in order to develop an annual calendar for each officer.  In response to a reminder about the review and editing of officers’ responsibilities in the by-laws, Hanley suggested that EAS office check the records and send to Talbott the ones that were already submitted a year ago.  Talbott will be responsible for the Secretary’s section.

 

C.     Past-President (Carney)

1.                  Nominations – Recommendations were requested from EB members for President-Elect and for Treasurer.  A call for nominations has  been sent to the membership. It was noted that the VP for Standards/Credentials and the VP for Communications have two-2 year terms.  New persons will have to be identified for these positions. It was noted that Saxman and Oller will be leaving at the end of this year (Hanley).

 

2.                  Honors and Awards – Procedures are being developed for the Diversity Incentive Award. 

 

3.                  Sponsorship of Conference Events – Since this issue was not resolved at the summer EB meeting, additional information was requested from EAS (Attachment #2) and reviewed in order to make recommendations(Attachment #3).   Motion:  Carney-Saxman—The Executive Board will authorize the same procedures used last year for seeking sponsors/exhibitors of the annual conference.  That is, the President, President-Elect, and Past President, all contacted potential sponsors and then requested follow-up information be seen to potential exhibitors by the National Office Staff.  Approved.  It was also recommended that a systematic method be developed to handle this task annually.  Motion:  Saxman-Mahshie – The Executive Board will appoint a Working Group on Sponsorship/Exhibitors to recommend policies and procedures for future membership meetings.  The Working Group will consist of three members, two of whom have had previous experience as convention program chair, and an ex-officio member of the CAPCSD National Office staff.  Finally, The Working Group will report their recommendations to the 2002 Summer Meeting of the Executive Board.  Approved

 

D.    Treasurer (McNeil)

1.                  Budget Overview – Lower numbers in conference registration are anticipated.  Last year’s budget was used for budget projection (Attachment #4).  The expenses for professional development represent an artifact of moving last year’s annual conference.  Liability and bonding insurance was discussed and a proposal made to purchase liability insurance at $512 per year. This is not directors’ liability but slip and fall liability for organizations (Laven).  D & O insurance is $250 per year; first dollar = $1 million. It was recommended that D & O insurance be investigated.  Bonding is somewhat more expensive --  $104 per $25,000.  What we will need will cost about $1,000 per year.  Talbott questioned whether or not we have convention insurance.  McNeil and Laven replied that this had not been done.  Motion:  Talbott-Carney – The Executive Board will approve the purchase of all policies listed in the Treasurer’s report/budget and request information on D & O and on convention insurance for the January meeting.  Approved.

Motion:  Carney-Mahshie – The Treasurer’s report and budget were accepted and approved.  Approved. Discussion – There was a concern about the cut in conference expenses; McNeil explained that the $60,000 expense for last year’s conference was an aberration, and $38,000 is consistent with expenses from previous years.

 

2.                  New Budget ProposalsMotion: McNeil-Hanley—More revenue will be designated for the recruitment of non-member programs.  Approved.

 

3.                  Budget implications given expanded role of CAP in Joint Committees, EB-EB meetings, and Face to Face meetings with Professional Groups – Communication with CAP office –

 

E.     Secretary (Gregg)

1.                  Recording, processing and reporting electronic votes – The President will call for the discussion and allow two days; the discussion will be closed electronically.  The messages will be kept as a record of the discussion (Hanley).   If any EB member wanted to request a face-to-face discussion of a topic or postpone the discussion this would be honored; electronic votes should be limited to emergency or straightforward issues (Talbott).  Issues of confidentiality should also be considered (Saxman).

2.                  Format of minutes – The format will remain the same; an action summary will be attached and interim electronic votes will be recorded and added to the action summary.

 

F.      Vice-President for Communications (Hargrove)

1.                  Website transmission – Memphis will need software to make the survey available.  The costs for this will be presented at the January meeting.  It was recommended that Survey Solutions – Perseus be investigated (Mahshie).

2.                  National Survey – The survey has been analyzed.  Ideas for staffing CSD were presented along with a sample schedule through 2011 (Attachment #5). Additional ideas will be submitted at the January meeting.

3.                  Proceedings Update – The Proceedings document (322) pages was submitted yesterday for inclusion on the website.

4.                  Journal Projects –   No report.

5.                  Member Benefits – There will be no salary survey in 2002 since work is still in process on the national survey.  The membership will be polled and another committee should be formed because volunteers need protection.  The Working Group for the dissemination of information is just getting started and a report will be made at the January meeting.

 

G.    Vice-President for Professional Development (Mahshie)

1.                  2002 Planning Committee Activities –

a.                         Corporate sponsorship – This year Singular-Thomason and the Council will be sponsoring the 2002 conference.  After this year the sponsor will be responsible for the whole event.

b.                        Vendors -- There is space for exhibits, a large place beside the ballroom could be used.  The contract must be checked for pre-conference space.  EAS was asked to check with the Riviera contact to ensure that sufficient floor space will be available.

c.                         Conference Registration Fees –

d.                        Request by Corporate Representatives to present – Singh will present the scholarship. The information that he has from the construction of databases on outcomes will not be a presentation; this may be presented at the exhibit.

2.                  Format/Themes for 2002 Conference -- Work is being done to finalize the program; there are no shocking changes and the committee is on task for the two issues previously discussed.

 

H.    Vice-President for Research and Academic Development (Oller)

1.                  Conference on doctoral shortages – The conference was originally scheduled for 9-14-01, but the meeting was postponed because people could not get to Cincinnati.  An attempt is being made to reschedule the meeting for 11-30-01 or for 12-1-01; all the original committee members may not be able to attend  so Hanley and Talbott were asked to attend.  Each organization (ASHA and CAPCSD) will have four votes and recommendations will be presented at the January EB meeting.

 

2.                  Ad Hoc Joint Committee on Doctoral Education – Agenda and Focus of Cincinnati Meeting  -- Oller along with Kim Wilcox have devised a tentative agenda for the meeting:  committee charge, nature of the problem, data, why data don’t solve problems, what ASHA has done in the past (Cheryl Scott), series of discussions about what needs to be pursued to alleviate the problem – recruitment, curricular reforms in doctoral education, training grant funding, arranging a summit conference.   During this ASHA convention, Oller will meet with committee members to get feedback on agenda.  Also to be noted, money was refunded from September tickets; Oller will check to see if tickets have been cancelled by individuals who will not be attending the November 30 meeting.  A discussion about the tentative agenda included concern about spending time on past efforts, about representation for the clinical doctorate as a solution to the doctoral shortage, about building a consensus.

3.                  Data Update – Many parameters are being analyzed – proportion of faculty over 55 and the number of those who have Ph.D.s , unfilled searches, retirements occurring at a higher rate without a significant increase in the number of doctorates awarded,  confusion in the data, decrease in undergraduate enrollment by 50% in the last 2 years.  The paper to explain the data will be ready for the Cincinnati meeting.

 

I.       Vice-President for Standards and Credentials (Saxman)

1.                  Standards Report – There has been communication with Seaver and CAA about the work being done to assist programs in transitioning to distance education and audiology programs.  Procedures are being developed for reporting in advance any changes that might impact accreditation – programs being offered through consortium, on-line, distance, and moving from masters to doctoral level programs.  There will be a change in the site-visit process; the Department of Education (since it gives CAA its status as an accrediting body) is requiring that a practitioner become a member of the site-visit team – a “real” practitioner, not just an extension of the academic community at a university. 

 

2.                  CAA: Update on status of evaluation procedures for standards -- ASHA will work with programs to judge the impact of new measures on accredited programs by asking programs to report on what is being done to meet the new standards.  A packet on formative assessment will be devised along with guidelines from CFCC and CAA to help programs.  ASHA EB asked CAA to look at post-professional doctoral programs.  This might be considered as a topic for the CAP-ASHA EB-EB meeting.  Clarification is needed (Talbott) about the kinds of programs that are granting AUDs and how CAA will be accrediting these programs especially those that enroll audiologists who already have ASHA Cs.  There was also a question about implementation language for new standards (Carney); although there is very little “real” implementation language at this point, the intent is to provide guidance that is helpful and clear (Saxman).

 

V.                 New Business – None

 

VI.              Announcements/Other – None

 

Adjournment