APPENDIX B: SAMPLE WRITING REQUIREMENT
BUFFALO STATE COLLEGE
DEPARTMENT OF SPEECH LANGUAGE PATHOLOGY
Undergraduate Writing Requirement
1. All courses in the curriculum will involve student writing, the nature and extent of which will vary depending on content of the course and level of the students. The specific requirements will be distributed in each course.
2. All courses will require that students use word processing on all written work.
3. Instruction will be given for each type of writing assignment so students learn correct style as well as content.
4. The requirement will specify the minimum writing to be done by any given student; it is anticipated that other writing opportunities and assignments will be given.
5. Students are responsible for retaining all evaluated writing assignments including instructor comments. These will be submitted at the beginning of the final semester of baccalaureate study. All items will be organized chronologically and submitted in a portfolio; professional presentation is expected. This portfolio could become part of your career packet at the CDC.
MINIMUM STANDARDS FOR COMPETENT WRITING
--Clearly stated purpose/main idea/thesis
--Adequate support/proof/development of main idea
--Clear and logical organization of information
--Standard usage of grammar, punctuation, and spelling
--Correct documentation (interior documentation, works cited, and/or bibliography) when required, in a format appropriate to the field
--Evidence of critical thinking
I st year
Observation report that tracks a client across several sessions
Topical bibliographies (5 items)
Topical essay written in phonetics and standard orthography
Observation reports with specific outcomes
Language sample analysis report
Summary of 10 articles located through computer search
Summary document on one disorder that covers evaluation , treatments, community resources
Abstracts of articles
Clinical report (lesson plans, assessment reports, progress reports, IEPS)
Case-based evaluation and intervention reports
Topical bibliography (10 items)
Reviews of literature in related area