CAPCSD COVID-19 Recommended Education Resources
- Best Practices in Healthcare Simulations in Communication Sciences and Disorders (CAPCSD ebook) March 2019
- CFCC Simulation AuD approved Temporary Expansion of Definition of Simulation Until August 1, 2020
- Oxford Medical Simulation (free access during the COVID response)
CAPCSD Podcasts - Simulation
April 9, 2020 - Carol Dudding, Ph.D. CHSE, James Madison University and Mark DeRuiter, Ph.D., MBA, CCC-A, CCC-SLP, The University of Arizona, have a conversation about simulations in communication sciences and disorders.
Download Simulations in CSD PowerPoint
April 16, 2020 - Carold Dudding, Ph.D., CHSE, James Madison University, and Mark DeRuiter, Ph.D., MBA, CCC-A, CCC-SLP, The University of Arizona, have a conversation about the importance of debriefing in clinical simulation.
Simulation in Audiology
April 24, 2020 - Tammy Fredrickson, Ph.D., CCC-A, University of Colorado Boulder, Elaine Mormer, Ph.D., CCC-A, University of Pittsburgh and Mark DeRuiter, MBA, Ph.D., CCC-A/SLP, University of Arizona, discussed the quick shift to simulation in audiology and resources that can be used by students and educators.
Download Audiology Simulation Resource PowerPoint
Standardized Patients to Develop Professional Competence
April 29, 2020 - Richard Zraick, Ph.D. CHSE, University of Central Florida and Mark DeRuiter, Ph.D., MBA, CCC-A, CCC-SLP, The University of Arizona, have a conversation about using standardized patients to develop professional competence.
NEW - Speech Therapy Telepractice Training Program
May 12, 2020 - Judy Walker, Ph.D. The University of Maine speaks with Mark DeRuiter, Ph.D., MBA, CCC-A, CCC-SLP, The University of Arizona, about speech therapy telepractice.
Download Telepractice PowerPoint
Resources for Audiology Online Teaching and Simulation
- Aud Sim (there is a fee associated with this product, however, it has been temporarily decreased during the COVID-19 crisis)
- Free Audiometer Simulator with multiple cases Audiometer Simulator for Pure-Tone Audiometry including masking
- Audiology Clinical Education-COVID19 Response - a repository of shared online teaching materials. Thank you to Jessica Messersmith, Tammy Frederickson, Tish Gaffney, Danica Billingsly, and many others who have contributed. Please feel free to upload more clinical teaching resources here to share with our colleagues!
CAPCSD COVID-19 Guidance on the National April 15th Deadline for Student Acceptance of Admission
Given the challenges with the COVID-19 pandemic, CAPCSD maintains its support of students not being required to confirm acceptance decisions prior to April 15th. If individual programs wish to extend their deadlines beyond April 15th, they are free to do so on their own.
As an organization, CAPCSD passed a resolution supporting the notion of students not being required to confirm acceptance of admission or financial aid offers until April 15th for the upcoming fall term admission. This decision is in line with the guidelines of the Council of Graduate Schools, an organization whose membership includes most CAPCSD member institutions. The resolution is available here.
COVID-19 Discussion Topics for Members
Discussion topics have been created in CAPCSD Conversations to offer members the opportunity to exchange information, solutions, and questions about processes that they are developing in response to this crisis.
Topic areas include:
- Online teaching
- Student Hours – Telepractice SLP
- Student Hours – Telepratice AUD
- Student Hours- Simulations SLP
- Student Hours - Simulations AUD
A brief tutorial for how to use CAPCSD Conversations is available by clicking here. The tutorial is also available at the top of the page in the member Info Hub.