2023 Ph.D. Scholarships
Applications are now closed.
CAPCSD is committed to addressing the Ph.D. shortage in communication sciences and disorders and offers this scholarship program for students pursuing a Ph.D. and who are focused on an academic career in communication sciences and disorders. These scholarships support Ph.D. students in the dissertation phase of their doctoral program and applicants must intend to pursue an academic career in CSD. The mentor's letter of support should confirm that the applicant will have passed to the candidacy stage (ABD) by June 15, 2023, as well as provide an indication of the applicant's likely graduation date. CAPCSD will fund up to eight (8) scholarships of $20,000 each for successful scholarship awardees.
- By June 15, 2023, applicants must have successfully advanced to the candidacy phase of their respective doctoral programs in a regionally accredited academic program, at a CAPCSD member institution with membership paid in full no later than September 15, 2022.
- Member programs can nominate only one applicant for this scholarship. Programs with multiple potential applicants should devise their own internal review process to select one applicant. The selected graduate student will submit their own application.
- When nominating an applicant for the scholarship, member programs should consider students who will have advanced to candidacy (ABD) by June 15, 2023. Scholarship awardees will be required to provide proof (letter from research advisor) verifying the candidacy/ABD status on or before the June 15, 2023, deadline. Awardees who are unable to meet this requirement cannot defer the scholarship to the next funding cycle.
Graduate students must complete all sections of the on-line application using the link provided below to upload the required documents. Uploaded documents should be single-spaced; Arial 12-point font; with one-inch margins.
Summary of the Dissertation Research Plan
- Specific aims/objectives
- Methods and outcome measures
- Anticipated completion date (include timeline related to IRB, data collection and analysis, dissertation defense etc.)
- Cover letter from the applicant with a brief introduction of the research project and stated commitment to an academic position upon completion of their Ph.D. program. The cover letter should include reference to current Ph.D. funding and how a CAPCSD scholarship would facilitate completion of the dissertation research (maximum two pages).
- Citations/References used for your dissertation research
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Support from research advisor signed by the program director. The letter should confirm that the applicant will have passed to the candidacy stage (ABD) by June 15, 2023, and indicate the applicant's expected graduation date (maximum two pages).
- Advisor’s brief bio
- Optional - graphs/tables/charts for the dissertation research plan
Basis for Evaluation
- Stated commitment to an academic career in communication sciences and disorders
- Strength of proposed dissertation research project
- Strength of applicant Curriculum Vitae (publishing, presenting, teaching, etc.)
- Strength of rationale for how this scholarship would impact timely completion of Ph. D.
- Strength of mentor nomination letter
Applications closed on Thursday, December 15th.
The scholarships will be announced by April 2023.
Contact Deborah Ortiz at firstname.lastname@example.org